Saturday, October 31, 2009

One More Day!

Hi Everyone,

Hope everyone is happy and healthy? I have been getting ready for my Quarter Marathon. Now to tell you the absolute truth, the thought of getting up at 5 am in the morning and starting the run at 6.45 am does nothing for me (at all) but at times when things are feeling a little daunting little reminders pop up from nowhere to remind me I can do this. I watched the news last night and it was about the New York Marathon (42kms/26 miles long), I am running 10.5kms/6.5 miles (HUGE DIFFERENCE), but the message was the same. There were people their running for their friends who had died from the most horrific illnesses and who had always wanted to run the marathon in New York. I burst into tears (of course) and just knew that the love we have for people who can not be here is so powerful, that these friends who have never exercised, will carry their love in their hearts all the way to the finish line. It made me think that I can do that for EDS - at times very much not my friend, but EDS is the constant entity in my life and I choose to see it as a friend and not a foe. So here is my little message to all of you out their who has EDS in their life, this is what I will be wearing while I run (and walk) because even people with EDS can stand tall and carry this all the way to the finish line with a smile on their face and the knowledge that we are not alone.

Love Rowena X

2 comments:

  1. Hi Rowena!

    When is the marathon? If I missed it, I hope it all went well! If not, I'll be thinking of you.

    I heard a really interesting radio show today on running (in advance of the marathon in NY). Here is the link to the podcast in case you are interested:
    (hmm, I can't seem to be able to paste into the comment box) www.sciencefriday.com/program/archives/200910303 (It was the show on 10/30/09 in case the link doesn't work directly). The part I was most interested in was why we can feel so good when we exercise/run - what chemicals the brain releases. I knew some of that stuff but I learned new things too. Thought you might like to listen to the story.

    Thanks for getting the word out there while you are doing the quarter marathon (sounds plenty long enough to me!!!).

    Let us know how the marathon went and if you talked with anyone interesting. :)

    gentle hugs,
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Elise,

    Thank you for your message! The 1/4 Marathon is tomorrow, 1st November! Thanks for that website and you are so right, the endorphins do make you feel so great when you exercise. I will let you know how I go. Take Care of you Elise.

    Rowena X

    ReplyDelete