Sunday, October 21, 2012

Tristan's Wonderful Transformantion!

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all well and pain free. I just wanted to share the amazing photos of my boys new chest. Yesterday he had his last check up with his surgeon and here are the amazing results;

Before and After photos:



We spoke to his surgeon about that blatant researcher saying that it sounds like Tristan has Marfans Syndrome, and he said, "Most of the children I see who have Pectus Excavatum do not have Marfans". That truly put my heart at ease. I have not been at all worried about the possibility, as I know Tristan won't have it. Highlighted are the only characteristics that Tristan has to Marfans:

  Marfan Syndrome Characteristics:
  • Lung tissue (there may be a pneumothorax, in which air can escape from the lung into the chest cavity and collapse the lung)
  • The aorta, the main blood vessel that takes blood from the heart to the body may stretch or become weak (called aortic dilation or aortic aneurysm)
  • The eyes, causing cataracts and other problems (such as a dislocation of the lenses)
  • The skin
  • Tissue covering the spinal cord
  • A chest that sinks in or sticks out -- funnel chest (pectus excavatum) or pigeon breast (pectus carinatum)
  • Flat feet
  • Highly arched palate and crowded teeth
  • Hypotonia
  • Joints that are too flexible (but the elbows may be less flexible)
  • Learning disability
  • Movement of the lens of the eye from its normal position (dislocation)
  • Nearsightedness
  • Small lower jaw (micrognathia)
  • Spine that curves to one side (scoliosis)
  • Thin, narrow face
So as you can see, my heart is not at all worried. We have been given an appointment to go back to Genetic Counselling on November 7th. So I will let you know the great news then. 

'Positive thinking is the only way forward and the only way to create a better future'.      
                By Rowena Lee Brewer

Love Rowena XXXX

P.S: I had the permission from my son to put these photos on. He wanted to share his transformation and is very proud of his new chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment